GP signpost Logo

Call us: 01243 813450

GP signpost Logo

There often seems to be some misunderstanding over when or why someone needs to obtain a medical certificate from his or her doctor. To qualify for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), a medical certificate is no longer required for absences of seven days or less.

If you are employed and absent from work due to ill health, you should either complete the DSS Self-Certification Form (SC2) or use your employer’s own self-certification form, if available.

Download DSS Form SC2

Complete form online (GOV.UK)

Please note, however, that these are rules for SSP purposes only. An employer may apply more stringent rules for occupational sick pay purposes. If you are self-employed you should obtain a copy of DSS SC1.

If your absence is for more than 7 days, please complete the form below to request a medical certificate.


Medical Certificate Request Form